This program is part of Lehigh’s Global Initiative within the College of Business and Economics; it is a global lab elective to accompany the MGT 301, Strategic Management in a Global Environment course. Students have the opportunity to travel and learn about business in two dynamic countries. Over the course of 2 weeks, students will interact with individuals such as key business stakeholders, business owners, business executives, and government officials in Singapore and Dubai. The goal of the trip is to integrate global academic concepts from the MGT 301 Strategic Management in a Global Environment course with the realities and functioning of business in Singapore and Dubai. The trip will provide an invaluable opportunity for students to gain global experience in two innovative, dynamic markets.
Credits will be granted in the Spring 2017 term. Therefore students must take this into consideration during course selection for Spring 2017 Semester - this is a 2 credit business elective course (MGT 372).
Itinerary - outline
- January 7: Depart US (fly JFK-Dubai)
- January 8-13: Dubai + full day trip to Abu Dhabi (new addition for 2017 trip)
Overnight flight from Dubai to Singapore
- January 14-19: Singapore
- January 20: Arrive back in US (fly Singapore-Dubai-JFK)
For more information check out this article on the Singapore-Dubai Global Lab 2015, as well as the itinerary from the trip. This will give you an idea of the format of the global lab, such as the type and number of company visits; cultural and group events. A similar format will be used in our 2017 Global Lab. Information on hotels; transportation; company visits; cultural/group events will be made available over the coming months.
How to Apply
Apply online or Download an application form > | CLOSED. No longer accepting applications.
- Participants are selected via a competitive application process
- Students may be invited for interview (conducted on a rolling basis) as part of this selection process
- Only students that have submitted a complete application form will be considered
- Deadline: September 30, 2016
- Students will be notified of their acceptance by mid-October, 2016
- Open to SENIOR business students (including IBE and CSB students) only
- Valid passport at the time of interview (expiration date must be minimum of 6 months beyond the date of proposed return from trip [valid beyond August 1, 2017]).
- Good academic standing
- $3,950. This fee includes; round airfare JFK-Dubai-Singapore-JFK; hotel accommodation (based on 2 sharing, includes breakfast & wifi) in Dubai and Singapore; local transportation to Company visits in Dubai and Singapore; some cultural excursions including a full day trip to Abu Dhabi, and some meals.
- A mandatory $50 study abroad iSOS registration fee will be charged to your Bursar account once you have a confirmed place on the trip.
- Transportation from Lehigh University to JFK Airport and return can be arranged for an additional cost.
Please note that ALL students must travel with the group. Unfortunately we can not accommodate students wishing to travel to/from Dubai or Singapore independently.
Limited financial support may be available to students who demonstrate financial need.
- To apply complete Travel Grant Request Form. Instructions on how to apply are included on the form.
- Students may also be eligible to apply for a Student Loan.
Important Information for Non-US Citizens Wishing to Apply
- In addition to the passport requirement stated above; non-US citizens wishing to apply for the Global Lab will need to submit proof that their F1 visa or J1 visa and I-20 or DS2019 are valid beyond the return date to the US from this trip
- Non-US citizens may require VISAs to enter UAE and/or Singapore. Students will be responsible for arranging their VISA and any costs associated with the VISA application. You can check any VISA requirements based on your citizenship at the relevant Embassy: United Arab Emirates and Singapore. Currently, there are NO VISA requirements for US Citizens to enter UAE or Singapore.