Andrew Ward joined the faculty of the Management Department at Lehigh University in fall 2009. Prior to joining Lehigh University, he was a member of the management faculty at the Terry College of Business at the University of Georgia and previously at the Goizueta Business School of Emory University. He conducts research on issues related to corporate governance including CEO successions, CEO compensation, the roles and concerns of the chief executive officer, CEO/board relations, reputation, and leadership, and has published articles in several leading academic journals, including Administrative Science Quarterly and Organization Science, and he serves on the editorial boards of the Strategic Management Journal and the Journal of Management Studies.
Dr. Ward’s work has been featured in numerous publications including Harvard Business Review, Business Week, The Washington Post, The Financial Times, Directorship, Directors and Boards, Investor’s Business Daily and Leaders Magazine. His first book, The Leadership Lifecycle: Matching Leaders to Evolving Organizations (Palgrave, 2003) examines how leadership needs change over the course of an organization’s life. His most recent book, Firing Back: How Great Leaders Rebound After Career Disasters, is co-authored with Dr. Jeffrey Sonnenfeld of Yale University and was published by Harvard Business School Press in 2007. Firing Back has received national and international media attention with reviews in The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Los Angeles Times, The Financial Times, Forbes, Business Week, and The Economist among other publications.
- Ward, A., Brown, J., & Rodriguez, D., (2009) Governance Bundles, Firm Performance and the Substitutability and Complementarity of Governance Mechanisms. Corporate Governance. Winner of the Best Paper of the Year Award 2009, Corporate Governance.
- Graffin, S., & Ward, A., (2010) Certifications and Reputation: Determining the standard of desirability amidst uncertainty. Organization Science
- Ward A., Brown, J., & Graffin, S., (2009) Under the Spotlight: Institutional Investors and Firm Responses to the Council of Institutional Investors’ Annual Focus List. Strategic Organization, 7: 107-135
- Campbell, S., Ward A., Sonnenfeld, J., & Agle, B. (2008). Relational Ties That Bind: Leader-follower relationship dimensions and charismatic attribution. Leadership Quarterly. 19: 556-568
- Ward, A., & Feldman, D.C. (2008) Survival of the Embedded: Expelling and embedding forces on members of the corporate elite. Corporate Governance, 16: 239-251
- Sonnenfeld, J., & Ward, A. (2008). Firing Back: How great leaders rebound after career disasters. Organizational Dynamics, 37: 1-20
- Ward, A., Lankau, M., Amason, A., Sonnenfeld, J., & Agle, B. (2007). Improving the Performance of Top Management Teams. Sloan Management Review, 48 (3): 85-90
- Sonnenfeld, J., & Ward A., (2007). Firing Back: How great leaders rebound after career disasters. Harvard Business Review, 85: 76-84. Reprinted in Harvard Business Review OnPoint, Summer 2009, p.114-122
- Lankau, M., Ward, A., Amason, A., Ng, T., Sonnenfeld, J., Agle, B., (2007). Examining the Impact of Organizational Value Dissimilarity in Top Management Teams. Journal of Managerial Issues, 19: 11-34