Dr. Zach G. Zacharia is an Associate Professor of Supply Chain Management and Director of the Center for Supply Chain Research in the College of Business and Economics, Lehigh University where he teaches Graduate and Undergraduate courses in Supply Chain Operations Management and Logistics and Transportation. He graduated with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Calgary, an MBA from the University of Alberta, and a Ph.D. in Logistics with a minor in Marketing from the University of Tennessee. His current research interests include Collaboration/Coopetition within the Supply Chain, Supplier Satisfaction and the Physical Internet.
Before joining Academia, Zach worked at the University of Tennessee, Center for Transportation Research for six years as an Associate Director. He also worked at the Department of Transportation in Alberta, Canada for ten years as an Equipment Engineer. He is a principal in BZS Consulting, which primarily focuses on teaching Supply Chain Operations Management and evaluating collaboration and procurement strategies across firms in a supply chain.
Zach’s has over 20 refereed publications including 2 articles in the Journal of Operations Management, 7 articles in the Journal of Business Logistics and articles in Decision Sciences, Journal of Supply Chain Management, International Journal of Production and Operations Management, International Journal of Logistics Management, Journal of Retailing, Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, Marketing Management, Supply Chain Management Review, Journal of International Technology and Information Management, Journal of Vehicle Design and Wall Street Journal. As a member of a Supply Chain Research Group at the University of Tennessee he co-authored a book titled “Supply Chain Management” (Sage Publications, December 2000). Zach also contributed a chapter on logistics service providers and new product development in the book titled Managing Innovation: The New Competitive Edge for Logistics Service Providers, Stephan M. Wagner ed., Kuehne Foundation Book Series (2007).
Among the awards that Zach has received is the Staub Faculty Excellence Award (2013) for the College of Business and Economics – Lehigh University, Best Paper Finalist (2010) from the Journal of Operations Management, Best Paper Award (2007) from North American Research/Teaching Symposium on Purchasing and Supply Chain Management, Outstanding Student Paper Award (2000) from the Society for Marketing Advances and Doctoral Dissertation Proposal Award (2000) from the University of Arkansas.
- Whitehead, Kimberly, Zach G. Zacharia, Edmund Prater, (2016) “Absorptive capacity versus distributive capability: The asymmetry of knowledge transfer” International Journal of Operations and Production Management Vol. 36, No 10, 1308-1332.
- Nada R. Sanders, Brian R. Fugate, Zach G. Zacharia, (2016) “Interdisciplinary Research In SCM: Through The Lens Of The Behavioral Theory Of The Firm” Journal of Business Logistics Vol. 37, No 2, 107-112.
- Nancy W. Nix, Zach G. Zacharia, (2014) “The Impact Of Collaborative Engagement On Knowledge And Performance Gains In Episodic Collaborations” International Journal of Logistics Management Vol. 25, No 2, 245-269.
- Zach G. Zacharia, Nada R. Sanders, Brian R. Fugate (2014) “The Evolving Role of Disciplines Within Supply Chain Management” Journal of Supply Chain Management Vol. 50, No 1, 73-88.
- Nada R. Sanders, Zach G. Zacharia, Brian R. Fugate (2013) "The Interdisciplinary Future of Supply Chain Management Research" Decision Sciences Vol. 44, No. 3, 413-429.
- Geoffrey T. Stewart, Zach G. Zacharia, Andrew B. Artis (2012) "The Implementation of Relationship Orientation and Its Impact on Relationship Outcomes" Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, Vol. 27, 8, 644-658.
- Zach G. Zacharia, Nancy W. Nix, Robert F. Lusch, (2011), "Capabilities that Enhance Outcomes of an Episodic Supply Chain Collaboration" Journal of Operations Management, Vol. 29, No. 6, 591-603.
- Zach G. Zacharia, Nada R. Sanders, Nancy W. Nix, (2011), "The Emerging Role of the Third-Party Logistics Provider (3PL) as a Supply Chain Orchestrator" Journal of Business Logistics, Vol. 32, No. 1, 40-54.
- Danny Lanier, Jr., William F. Wempe, Zach G. Zacharia, (2010) “Concentrated Supply Chain Membership and Financial Performance: Chain- and Firm-Level Perspectives” Journal of Operations Management, Vol.28, No.1, (1-16). (Top 4 Finalist 2010)
- Zach G. Zacharia, Nancy W. Nix and Robert F. Lusch, (2009) “An Analysis of Supply Chain Collaborations and Their Effect on Performance” Journal of Business Logistics, Vol. 30, No. 2, 101-123.
- Chad W. Autry, Zach G. Zacharia and Charles W. Lamb, (2008) “A Logistics Strategy Taxonomy” Journal of Business Logistics, Vol. 29. No. 2, pp 53-74.
- Zach G. Zacharia and John T. Mentzer (2007) “The Role of Logistics in New Product Development,” Journal of Business Logistics, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp 83-110.
- Zach G. Zacharia and John T. Mentzer (2004) “Logistics Salience In A Changing Environment,” Journal of Business Logistics, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp 187-210.