Alberto Lamadrid is an assistant professor in the Economics Department, part of the Integrated Networks for Electricity Cluster at Lehigh University.
His interests lie at the intersections of energy and electricity economics, complex stochastic dynamic systems, and mechanism design.
In his work so far he has focused on the development of methodologies and tools that allow to properly study the decision making process in the electrical network for operations, planning and regulation with large scale penetration of renewable energy sources.
His methods use continuous and discrete optimization, geographic information systems, statistical analysis and engineering models that reflect the physical behavior of the system.
- "Is Deferrable Demand an Effective Alternative to Upgrading Transmission Capacity?" with T. Mount, W. Jeon and H. Lu. Forthcoming, Journal of Energy Engineering, 2014.
- "Barriers to Increasing the Role of Demand Resources in Electricity in Electricity Markets" with T. Mount, W. Jeon and H. Lu. Proceedings of the 47th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC, January 2013.
- "The Effect of Stochastic Wind Generation on Ramping Costs and the System Benefits of Storage" with T. Mount and W. Jeon. Proceedings of the 46th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC, January 2013.
- "Controllable Demand for Electricity Systems with High Wind Penetrations" with T. Mount, R. Zimmerman and D. Munoz-Alvarez. USAEE Dialogue, 21, January 2013.
- "Shale Gas vs. Coal: Policy Implications from Environmental Impact Comparisons of Shale Gas, Conventional Gas, and Coal on Air, Water, and Land in the United States" with S. Jenner, Energy Policy, 53 (0), 442-453, 2013.
- "Ancillary Services in Systems with Penetration of Renewable Energy Sources, The Case of Ramping" with T. Mount. Energy Economics, 34, 1959-1971, 2012.
- "How Will Customers Afford the Smart Grid?" with T. Mount, W. Jeon, R. Zimmerman and C. Murillo. Revise and Resubmit, Journal of Regulatory Economics, 2011.
- "The Hidden System Costs of Wind Generation in a Deregulated Electricity Market" with T. Mount, S. Maneevitjit, B. Thomas and R. Zimmerman. The Energy Journal, 33(1), 161-186, 2012. doi: 10.5547/ISSN0195-6574-EJ-/vol33-No1-7
- "Wine in Your Knapsack" with J. Conrad and M. Gomez. Journal of Wine Economics, 6(1), 83-110, 2011.
- "Evaluating the Net Benefits of Investing in New Wind and Transmission Capacity on a Network" with T. Mount, S. Maneevitjit, R.J. Thomas and R.D. Zimmerman. Proceedings of the 42nd Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC, January 2009.