Mary E. Deily does most of her work in the area of empirical industrial organization. She has written several papers examining the decline of the integrated steel industry. More recently, her work has focused on hospital efficiency and on the cost and quality of health care.
Professor Deily teaches applied microeconomic analysis, competitor and market analysis and regulation of industry. She has taught at Texas A&M University, was a Visiting Scholar at the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, and served two years the National Science Foundation as a Director of the Economics Program.
- "Hospital Mergers and Quality of Care: Evidence from Heart Attack Patients and Pregnancy Outcomes," with Shanshan Liu, Shin-Yi Chou, and Cheng Wang. Working Paper. July 2015.
- "The Consequences of Electronic Health Record Adoption and Integration for Physician Productivity and Birth Outcomes," with Chad D. Meyerhoefer, Susan A. Sherer, Shin-Yi Chou, Lizhong Peng, Michael Sheinberg, and Donald Levick. Forthcoming, ILR Review.
- "Pregnancy Outcomes for Medicaid Patients in Mandatory Managed Care: The Pennsylvania HealthChoices Program," with Tianyan Hu and Shin-Yi Chou. Southern Economic Journal, 82(1, July 2015): 100-121.
- "Hospital Ownership and Drug Utilization Under a Global Budget: A Quantile Analysis," with Jing Hua Zhang, Shin-Yi Chou, and Hsien-Ming Lien. International Health, 6(1, March 2014): 62-69.
- "Competition and the Impact of Online Hospital Report Cards," with Shin-Yi Chou, Suhui Li, and Yi Lu. Journal of Health Economics, 34(March 2014): 42-58.
- "Travel Distance and Health Outcomes for Scheduled Surgery," with Shin-Yi Chou and Suhui Li. Medical Care, 52(3, March 2014): 250-257.
- "The Impact of Health Information Technology Adoption by Outpatient Facilities on Pregnancy Outcomes," with Tianyan Hu, Sabrina Terrizzi, Shin-Yi Chou, and Chad D. Meyerhoefer. Health Services Research, 48 (Feb. 2013): 70-94.
- "Global Budgets and Provider Incentives: Hospitals' Drug Expenditures in Taiwan." with Shin-Yi Chou, Hsien-Ming Lien, and Jing Hua Zhang. In Avi Dor, (ed.), Pharmaceutical Markets and Insurance Worldwide, Advances in Health Economics and Health Services Research, Volume 22. Emerald Books, 2010.
- "Cost Inefficiency and Hospital Health Outcomes," with Niccie L. McKay. Health Economics 17(7), July 2008: 833-848.
- Agency Structure and Firm Culture: OSHA, EPA, and the Steel Industry," with Wayne B. Gray. The Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization 23 (October 2007, 3): 685-709.
- "A Cartel's Response to Cheating: An Empirical Investigation of the DeBeers Diamond Empire," with Donna J. Bergenstock and Larry W. Taylor. Southern Economic Journal 73(1): 173-189, July 2006.
- "Cost Inefficiency and Mortality Rates in Florida Hospitals," with Niccie L. McKay. Health Economics 15(4): 419-431. April 2006.
- "Ownership and Changes in Hospital Efficiency, 1986-1991," with Niccie L. McKay and Fred H. Dorner. Inquiry 39(4): 388-399. Winter 2002/2003.
- "Exit and Inefficiency: The Effects of Ownership Type," with Niccie L. McKay and Fred H. Dorner. Journal of Human Resources 35(4): 734-747. Fall 2000.
- "Wages in the Steel Industry: Take the Money and Run?" Industrial Relations 37(2): 153-177. April 1998.
- "Compliance and Enforcement Behavior: Air Pollution Regulation in the U.S. Steel Industry," with Wayne B. Gray. Journal of Environmental Economics and management 31: 96-111. 1996.
- "Enforcement of Pollution Regulations in a Declining Industry," with Wayne B. Gray. Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 21: 260-274. 1991.
- "Exit Strategies and Plant-Closing Decisions: The Case of Steel." The Rand Journal of Economics 22(2): 250-263. 1991.
- "Investment Activity and the Exit Decision." The Review of Economics and Statistics 70(4): 595-602. November 1988.