Applications for the January 2019 trip will open at the beginning of August.
This program is part of Lehigh’s Global Initiative within the College of Business and Economics; it is a global lab elective to accompany the MGT 301, Strategic Management in a Global Environment course. Students have the opportunity to travel and learn about business in two dynamic countries. Over the course of 2 weeks, students will interact with individuals such as key business stakeholders, business owners, business executives, and government officials in Vietnam and Singapore. The goal of the trip is to integrate global academic concepts from the MGT 301 Strategic Management in a Global Environment course with the realities and functioning of business in Vietnam and Singapore. The trip will provide an invaluable opportunity for students to gain global experience in two contrasting yet innovative, dynamic markets.
This is a 2 credit business elective course (MGT 372).
2019 Itinerary - outline
- January 4: Depart JFK Arriving in Ho Chi Mihn City, Vietnam (connections in Frankfurt and Singapore)
- January 6-11: Vietnam
- January 11-17: Singapore
- January 18: Arrive back in US (fly Singapore to JFK - connection in Frankfurt)
More information on hotels; transportation; company visits; cultural/group events will be made available over the coming months.
SAMPLE ITINERARY (tentative and subject to revision/change)
How to Apply
Apply Online > or
Download an Application Form >
- Participants are selected via a competitive application process
- Students may be invited for interview (conducted on a rolling basis) as part of this selection process
- Only students that have submitted a complete application form will be considered
- Deadline: Wednesday, September 19, 2018
- Students will be notified of their acceptance early October, 2018
- Open to all SENIOR business and economic students (including IBE and CSB students)
- Valid passport at the time of interview (expiration date must be minimum of 6 months beyond the date of proposed return from trip. Valid beyond August 1, 2019).
- Good academic standing
- $3,950 (approx.) This fee includes; round airfare JFK-Vietnam-Singapore-JFK; hotel accommodation (based on 2 sharing, includes breakfast & wifi) in Vietnam and Singapore; local transportation to Company visits in Vietnam and Singapore; some cultural excursions and some meals.
- A mandatory $50 study abroad iSOS registration fee will be charged to your Bursar account once you have a confirmed place on the trip.
- Students will be responsible for organizing and any costs associated with VISAs (see information below)
- Students will be asked to consult with their health care provider regarding recommended vaccinations for travel to Vietnam. They will be responsible for organizing and any costs associated with any such vaccinations.
- Transportation from Lehigh University to JFK Airport and return can be arranged for anyone in the group at an additional cost.
Please note that ALL students must travel as a group. We have a group booking for all flights associated with this program and included in the cost of the program. Unfortunately we can not accommodate students wishing to travel to/from Vietnam or Singapore independently (no exceptions).
A VISA is required for US Citizens to enter Vietnam.
Currently, there are NO VISA requirements for US Citizens to enter Singapore.
Instructions on how to apply for a visa and the necessary supporting documentation will be given to all participants at the Mandatory Orientation Meeting to be held sometime mid-October. Date, time and location to be confirmed.
Important Information for Non-US Citizens Wishing to Apply
- In addition to the passport requirement stated above; non-US citizens wishing to apply for the Global Lab will need to submit proof that their F1 visa or J1 visa and I-20 or DS2019 are valid beyond the return date to the US from this trip
- Non-US citizens may require VISAs to enter Vietnam and/or Singapore. Students will be responsible for arranging their VISA and any costs associated with the VISA application. You can check any VISA requirements based on your citizenship at the relevant Embassy: Vietnam and Singapore.
Students should refer to St. Luke's Travel Clinic to consult about recommended vaccinations for travel to Vietnam.
Unfortunately, the University Health Center DO NOT administer any of the recommended vaccines.
Limited financial support is available to students who demonstrate financial need.
- To apply complete Travel Grant Request Form. Instructions on how to apply are included on the form.
- Students may also be eligible to apply for a Student Loan.