Lehigh Business hosted its first LEAD Summer Business Institute July 10-30, 2016. The LEADership, Education and Development (LEAD) Summer Business Institute program exposes high school scholars to business principles and the skill sets needed for successful business careers. Working in partnership with premier U.S. corporations and a select group of universities it focuses on developing high potential youth of diverse backgrounds into high achievers and responsible leaders. Lehigh’s business school faculty introduced students to each of the functional areas of business including economics, accounting, finance, management, marketing and business information systems. The students also visited the United Nations and a number of corporate locations including visits to firms in New York City, Philadelphia and the Lehigh Valley.
About LEAD Business
The Summer Business Institute (SBI) program is LEAD’s longest running Summer Institute and is considered the “flagship” program. The SBI program exposes scholars to business principles and the skill sets needed for successful business careers. The program challenges them through applied learning experiences often facilitated by college professors, links scholars to corporate executives in business fields and peers with similar aspirations and abilities.
During LEAD SBIs, scholars reside and attend classes on-campus at a select number of the nation’s top business schools for two or three weeks. SBIs provide diverse, high-achieving rising high school seniors the opportunity to explore finance, entrepreneurship, accounting and marketing, among other business sectors.
The goal of the SBI is to expose scholars early in their academic development to the innumerable career opportunities in business. The program equips them with knowledge and expertise from our nation’s leading universities and corporations, empowering LEAD scholars to confidently make better informed decisions when choosing their university and career.
The objectives of a LEAD Summer Business Institute are to:
- Engage scholars in an intense, hands-on curriculum incorporating case studies, business plans and team projects
- Provide scholars with first-hand knowledge from business professionals through mentoring and corporate site visits
- Develop scholars’ presentation and public speaking skills
- Impart principles of responsible leadership
- Engage scholars in cultural and social activities
- Prepare scholars for college
A Day in the Life of a LEAD participant
- Group and team building activities
- Classes led by Lehigh professors - Economics, Accounting, Finance, Supply Chain Management, Business Information Systems
- Entrepreneurship Project - Working with a team to create and market a new product idea
- Living on campus
- Fun activities
- CF Martin Guitar
- Price Waterhouse Coopers
- Urban Outfitters
- Bravo TV
- Ernst & Young
- Just Born
- Bethlehem Dairy Store – The “Cup”
LEAD in the News
- "Diversity in Commercial Real Estate Still Has Room to Improve"
- "C.J. McCollum: 'The Most Successful People Aren't Afraid to Fail'"
For more information, please contact:
Twana L. Walker