Parveen P. Gupta joined Lehigh University in 1987. He served as the Department Chair of Accounting for nine years from July 1, 2007 to June 30, 2016. Dr. Gupta has taught numerous courses in the areas of financial accounting, corporate governance, risk management, and internal controls. During his 31-year career at Lehigh University, Dr. Gupta has received numerous awards for excellence in teaching and advising: in 2016 he was recognized with the Hillman Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Advising which is given annually by the Lehigh University to a faculty member who demonstrates excellence in teaching, research or advancing the interests of Lehigh University and exemplary student advising; in 2014 he was recognized with the Donald B. and Dorothy L. Stabler Award for Excellence in Teaching which is given annually by Lehigh University to a faculty member who demonstrates mastery of his or her field and superior ability in communicating it to others; in 2009 he received the Robert and Christine Staub Excellence Award for Undergraduate Teaching which honors a faculty member in the College of Business & Economics who is perceived to have made a positive difference in the lives of students, the college community, or with fellow faculty members; and in 2000 and 2003 he was recognized by his graduate students with the Outstanding MBA Professor of the Year Award.
He is also the recipient of the 2016 Statewide Outstanding Accounting Educator Award, which is presented to a university professor by the Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants (PICPA). He has also received the prestigious 2005 Innovation in Accounting Education National Award from the American Accounting Association for developing and teaching a graduate-level course on Corporate Governance and Business Risk.
Dr. Gupta has served for one year as an Academic Accounting Fellow in the Division of Corporation Finance at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). While at the Commission, he worked closely with the Division’s Chief Accountant and participated actively on the project that involved issuing the Commission’s Guidance on Management’s Report on Internal Control under Sarbanes-Oxley Act Section 404 and Public Company Accounting Standard Board’s (PCAOB) Auditing Standard No. 5 on Auditing Internal Control. Additionally, Dr. Gupta evaluated registrant financial statements and worked with the Office of the Chief Accountant staff on accounting issues in areas such as revenue recognition, pensions, leases, derivatives, and fresh start accounting. In recognition of the work on Sarbanes-Oxley Act’s Section 404, he and his team members were recognized by then Chairman Christopher Cox with Securities and Exchange Commission’s Law and Policy Award in 2007. Dr. Gupta currently serves as a member of the Investor Advisory Group of the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB).
Dr. Gupta is a nationally recognized expert in Sarbanes-Oxley, corporate governance, financial disclosure and internal control, audit committee effectiveness, and enterprise risk management. His current research focuses on understanding how a firm’s corporate governance practices affect quality of its financial reporting and consequently its financial and capital market performance. Additionally, his research also focuses on investigating the value relevance of the internal control disclosures under Sarbanes-Oxley Act and the suitability of the various control models in helping management assess and auditors certify the effectiveness of a company’s internal controls over financial reporting pursuant to Section 404. Dr. Gupta’s extensive advisory experience is working with US-based manufacturing, financial services firms, energy industry clients, and Big-4 public accounting firms.
He has published numerous research articles in major academic and practitioner journals including Accounting, Organizations and Society; Accounting Horizons; Journal of Contemporary Accounting and Economics; Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance; Administrative Science Quarterly; American Sociological Review; Organization Studies; International Journal of Accounting; Managerial Auditing Journal; The Journal of Corporate Accounting and Finance; International Journal of Disclosure and Governance; Management Accounting Quarterly; Internal Auditor; and Journal of Accountancy. He is also the author or co-author of six externally funded Research Monographs, Practice Guidance, and books. His research has been funded by major professional accounting organizations such as the American Accounting Association, Financial Executive International, the Institute of Management Accountants, and the Institute of Internal Auditors.
His research has been cited in widely-read business publications such as the Wall Street Journal, Treasury and Risk Management, and Compliance Week. He has been recognized for his research contributions by the Association of Chartered Accountants in U.S. with a Best paper Award in 1990, Lehigh University’s Beidleman Research Award in 2001, Vernon Zimmerman Award for Best International Accounting Research Paper in 2008, the Institute of Management Accountants’ Certificate of Merit award in 2007, the Lybrand Bronze Medal award in 2008, and Best Plenary Research Paper Award at the Contemporary Accounting Research/Journal of Contemporary Accounting and Economics Special Joint Symposium in 2009.
Dr. Gupta is a frequent presenter at numerous academic and professional conferences at both the national and international level. He has appeared on CNNfn’s “Maverick of the Morning” show, WFMZ TV 69, Voice of America SAP’s Radio Program “Coffee Break with Game Changers” and is often quoted in media publications such as CFO Magazine, Compliance Week, Democrat & Chronicle, Christian Science Monitor, The Morning Call, The Agenda, Dow Jones Marketwatch.com, Knowledgeleader.com, and CFO.com. Some of his representative publications are listed below:
- Gupta, Parveen P., Heibatollah Sami, and Haiyan Zhou (Forthcoming, 2016), “Do Companies with Effective Internal Controls over Financial Reporting Benefit from Sarbanes-Oxley Sections 302 and 404.” (with Sami Heibatollah and Haiyan Zhou), Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance, Forthcoming.
- “Sarbanes-Oxley and Public Reporting on Internal Control: Hasty Reaction or Delayed Action,” (with Thomas R. Weirich, and Lynn E. Turner), Accounting Horizons, June 2013. 1-38.
- “Materiality Judgments and Audit Firm Culture: Social-Behavioral and Political Perspectives," (with Brian Carpenter and Mark Dirsmith), Accounting, Organizations and Society, 1994, Vol. 19 no. 4/5, (July), pp. 355-380.
- "Supervision Practices and Audit Effectiveness: An Empirical Analysis of GAO Audits," (with Narayan Umanath and Mark Dirsmith), Behavioral Research in Accounting, 1999, Vol. 11, pp. 27-50.
- “Coordination and Control in a Governmental Agency: Contingency and Institutional Perspectives on GAO Audits," (with Mark Dirsmith and Tim Fogarty), Administrative Science Quarterly, 1994, Vol. 39 (June), pp. 264-284.
- "The Coupling of the Symbolic and the Technical in an Institutionalized Context: The Negotiated Order of the GAO's Audit Reports," (with Onkar Basu and Mark Dirsmith), American Sociological Review, 1999, Vol. 64 (August), pp. 506-526.
- "Institutional Pressures and Symbolic Displays in a GAO Context," (with Mark Dirsmith and Tim Fogarty) Organization Studies, 2000, Vol. 21 no. 3, pp. 515-537.
- The SEC’s Elimination of 20-F Reconciliation and Information Asymmetry,” (with Lucy H. Chen, Deng Saiying and Sami Heibatollah), Journal of Contemporary Accounting and Economics, April 2015.
- “Corporate Governance: Does One Size Fit All,” (with Anne-Marie Anderson), The Journal of Corporate Accounting and Finance, March/April 2013. 51-64.
- “A Cross Country Comparison of Corporate Governance and Firm Performance Nexus: Do financial Structure and Legal Systems of a Country Matter?” (with Anne Anderson), Journal of Contemporary Accounting and Economics, December 2009, Vol. 5, Issue 2, pp. 61-78.
- “Corporate Governance and Firm Value: Evidence from Canadian Capital Markets,” (with Duane B. Kennedy and Samuel Weaver), Corporate Ownership and Control, spring 2009, Vol. 6, Issue 3, pp. 293-307.
- “Management’s Evaluation of Internal Controls under Section 404(a) using the COSO 1992 Control Framework: Evidence from Practice.” International Journal of Disclosure and Governance, February 2008, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 48-68.
- “Risk Oversight: Evolving Expectations for Boards” (with Tim Leech), The Conference board Directors’ Notes, January 2014.1-15.
- “Sarbanes-Oxley: A Practical Guide to Implementation Challenges and Global Response”, (with Sally Chan and Tim Leech). Professional Book. Published by the Risk Books. 2006.
- “COSO 1992 Framework and Management Reporting on Internal Control over Financial Reporting: Survey and Analysis of Implementation Practices”, Research Monograph. Published by the Institute of Management Accountants. 2006.