United States Air Force Academy, B.S.
Air Force Institute of Technology, M.S.
University of Colorado, M.B.A.
University of Virginia, Ph.D.
New Venture Teams
William Forster studies topics in entrepreneurship and business ethics by primarily examining the decisions, actions, and interactions of entrepreneurs at the level of the individual and group. His research has led to insights on how entrepreneurs interact with their environments and others to create value and has published in the Academy of Management Review, the Journal of Business Venturing, the Journal of Business Ethics, Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research, the Journal of Management Education, Social Psychological and Personality Science, and the Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings. He has received numerous research and teaching awards and currently serves on the editorial review boards of the Academy of Management Review and the Journal of Business Venturing.
Professor Forster joined the Lehigh faculty in 2009 after graduating from the University of Virginia with a Ph.D. in Business Administration with concentrations in Entrepreneurship, Strategic Management, and Business Ethics. He was also an Instructor of Management at the United States Air Force Academy and was awarded an Air Force Ph.D. Fellowship. He has twelve years experience as an Air Force officer and worked as both a financial and project manager in numerous technology development programs.
- Cardon, M., Post, C.A., & Forster, W.R. (2017). The Emergence and Influence of Team Entrepreneurial Passion in New Venture Teams. Academy of Management Review.
- Pollack, J.M., Forster, W.R., Johnson, P.D., A. Coy, & Molden, D. A. 2015. Promotion- and Prevention-Focused Networking and its Consequences for Entrepreneurial Success. Social Psychological and Personality Science, 6(1): 3-12.
- Forster, W.R. & Ramesh, A. (2013) From Goldilocks to Gump: A Research Agenda for Entrepreneurial Mechanisms Design. Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings. *Winner of the 2014 Best Conceptual Paper Award, Entrepreneurship Division.
- Venkataraman, S., Sarasvathy, S.D., Dew, N. & Forster, W.R. (2013) Dialogue: Of Narratives and Artifacts. Academy of Management Review, 38(1).
- Brown, J.A. & Forster, W. R. (2013) CSR and Stakeholder Theory: A Tale of Adam Smith. Journal of Business Ethics, 112(2).
- Venkataraman, S., Sarasvathy, S.D., Dew, N. & Forster, W.R. (2012) Reflections on the 2010 AMR decade award: Whither the promise? Moving forward with entrepreneurship as a science of the artificial. Academy of Management Review, 37(1).
- Forster, W.R. & Jansen K.J. (2010) Co-Creating New Ventures: Attraction, Search, and Uncertainty in Founding Partnership Formation. Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research, 30(10).
- Hayward, M. L., Forster, W.R., Sarasvathy, S.D., & Fredrickson B. L. (2010) Beyond Hubris: How Highly Confident Entrepreneurs Rebound to Venture Again. Journal of Business Venturing, 25(6). *Selected by the Academy of Management’s Entrepreneurship Division as a 2009 research exemplar paper.
- Ferrante, C. J., Green, S. J. & Forster, W. R. (2006) Getting More out of Team Projects: Incentivizing Leadership to Enhance Performance. Journal of Management Education, 30(6).