Marina’s research interests are in branding strategies, brand anthropomorphization, and negative brand performance. Specifically, she examines consumers’ attributions and brand inferences, consumer-brand relationships, and the impact of different brand positioning strategies on brand performance and consumer responses to marketing communications. Marina has published in journals such as the Journal of Marketing, International Journal of Research in Marketing, Journal of Advertising, Journal of Business Research, International Journal of Advertising, and Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice. Her dissertation was selected as a Runner-Up for the Mary Kay Dissertation Competition sponsored by the Academy of Marketing Science. She is an Editorial Board Member at Journal of Advertising and International Journal of Advertising. In 2017, Marina received the Lehigh University Early Career Reward for Distinguished Teaching.
- Puzakova, Marina and Hyokjin Kwak (2017), “Should Anthropomorphized Brands Engage Customers? The Impact of Social Crowding on Brand Preferences”, Journal of Marketing, forthcoming.
- Kwak, Hyokjin, Marina Puzakova, and Joseph F. Rocereto (2017), “When Brand Anthropomorphism Alters Perceptions of Justice: The Moderating Role of Self-Construal,” International Journal of Research in Marketing, forthcoming.
- Bell, Monique and Marina Puzakova (2017), “¿Y Usted?: Social Influence’s Effects on Consumers’ Service Language Preferences”, Journal of Business Research, 72 (March), 168-177.
- Puzakova, Marina, Hyokjin Kwak, Suresh Ramanathan, and Joseph F. Rocereto (2016), “Painting Your Point: The Role of Color in Firms’ Strategic Responses to Product Failures,” Journal of Advertising, 45(4), 365-376.
- Hyokjin Kwak, Marina Puzakova, and Joseph F. Rocereto (2015), “Better Not Smile at the Price: The Differential Role of Brand Anthropomorphization on Price Fairness,” Journal of Marketing, 79 (4), 56-76.
- Puzakova, Marina, Hyokjin Kwak, and Monique Bell (2015), “Beyond Seeing McDonald’s Fiesta Menu: The Role of Accent in Brand Sincerity of Ethnic Products and Brands,” Journal of Advertising, 44 (3), 219-231.
- Puzakova, Marina, Hyokjin Kwak, and Joseph F. Rocereto (2013), “When Humanizing Brands Goes Wrong: The Detrimental Role of Brand Anthropomorphization Amid Product Wrongdoings,” Journal of Marketing, 77 (3), 81-100.
- Puzakova, Marina, Joseph F. Rocereto, and Hyokjin Kwak (2013), “Ads Are Watching Me: A View from the Interplay between Anthropomorphism and Customization,” International Journal of Advertising, 32 (4), 513-538.
- Puzakova, Marina, Hyokjin Kwak, and Charles R. Taylor (2013), " The Role of Geography of Self in “Filling In” Brand Personality Traits: Consumer Inference of Unobservable Attributes," Journal of Advertising, 42 (1), 16-29.