Professor Gunter has received four major awards for excellence in teaching including the 2016 Richard and Christine Staub Award. His service course is Eco 1, Principles of Economics. He also teaches Economic Development, and the Political-Economy of Iraq to undergraduates as well as the Business Economics course in the Masters Program.
Professor Gunter is the author of The Political Economy of Iraq: Restoring Balance in a Post-Conflict Society (Edward Elgar Publishing, 2013), which was selected by Choice magazine as an “outstanding academic title” of the year. The Arabic version, translated by Mohaned al Hamdi Ph.D., was published in Iraq in 2015 and quickly became the best selling business or economics book in the country. Other research efforts include the economics of entrepreneurship, corruption, capital flight, microfinance, and economic development during conflict. His research perspective is pragmatic and most of his work combines quantitative and qualitative analysis.
He was the Senior Civilian Economics Advisor for Multi-National Corps – Iraq at Camp Victory, Iraq (July 2008 – July 2009). He was responsible for briefing the Commanding Generals of Multi-National Corps/Force on Iraqi economic development issues including impact of corruption, oil prices, state owned enterprises, and budget decisions. Previously, he was assigned as military Chief of Economics Section for Multi-National Force – Iraq (MNF-I) in Baghdad, Iraq with similar responsibilities (November 2005 – May 2006). He has also been a consultant for the United Nations Development Program, the U.S. Department of the Navy, the Inter-American Development Bank as well as government entities in China and Colombia.
Professor Gunter was the 2014-2015 Chairman of the University Faculty Policy Committee, which is responsible for ensuring the quality of undergraduate education at Lehigh. He has previously served as Chairman of the Faculty Compensation Committee.
A retired U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Colonel, he was mobilized after 9/11 to command a 6,000 Marine and Sailor combined arms training exercise (CAX 7/8-02). He later served as president of the Marine Reserve Mobilization Delay, Deferment, and Exemption Board; Deputy Director of the Tsunami Coalition Coordination Center in Thailand; and Deputy of Coalition Operations in Iraq.
Lehigh Faculty Compensation
Works In Progress
- Entrepreneurship in Conflict and Post-Conflict MENA States
- Chinese Capital Flight: 1984-2012
- Infrastructure Demand and Supply in Iraq
- Ethical Convergence in Undergraduate Education
- "Oil Slump Leaves Iraq With 'Army' of Unemployed Youth" World Politics Review, March 17, 2016
- "Iraq's Perfect Storm" The Pasewan, January 30, 2016.
- "ISIL Revenues: Grow or Die" Foreign Policy Research Institute, June 2015
- "ISIS and Oil: Iraq's Perfect Storm" Foreign Policy Research Institute E-Note, January 9, 2015.
- "The ISIL Invasion of Iraq: Economic Winners and Losers" Foreign Policy Research Institute E-Note, July 22, 2014.
- The Political Economy of Iraq: Restoring Balance in a Post-Conflict Society, 2013, Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- "Microfinance during Conflict: Iraq, 2003-2007" in Moving Beyond Storytelling: Emerging Research in Microfinance. Andrea Wuerth and Todd A. Watkins (eds). Elsevier Press, 2009.
- "Economic Development During Conflict: The Petraeus-Crocker Congressional Testimony" Strategic Insights, Vol. VI, Issue 6, December, 2007.
People's Republic of China
- "Capital Flight from China: 1984-2001," China Economic Review, Vol. 15, 2004, pp. 63-85.
- “The Relationship between Foreign Direct Investment and Capital Flight in China (1984-1999)” with Haizhen Yang, (Published in Chinese) China Economic Quarterly, Vol. 1, No. 3, 2002, pp. 715-722.
- "Capital Flight from the People's Republic of China: 1984-1994," China Economic Review Vol. 7, No. 1, 1996.
- "Market Reform and the Limitations of Monetary Policy: the Case of Colombia" with Carolyn Stumph, Ensayos Sobre Politica Economica, No. 38, March 2001.
- "Absolute Stability and Comparative Deterioration: Has Apertura Gone Too Far or Not Far Enough?" in Colombia: An Opening Economy? Colleen Callahan and Frank R. Gunter (eds.) Stamford, Connecticut: JAI Press, 1999, pp. 343-353.
- Colombia: An Opening Economy? Colleen Callahan and Frank R. Gunter (Eds.) Stamford, Connecticut: JAI Press, 1999.
- "Apertura Economica," in Fabio Giambiagi (ed.) Colombia: Informe Socioeconomico Departamento de Desarrollo Economico Y Social, Banco Interamericano de Desarrollo, Abril, 1994, pp. 32-38.
- The Colombian Economy: Issues of Trade and Development Alvin Cohen and Frank R. Gunter (Eds.) Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press, 1992.
- "Colombian Capital Flight: 1982-1990," In Alvin Cohen and Frank R. Gunter (Eds.) The Colombian Economy: Issues of Trade and Development, Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press, 1992.
- "Colombian Capital Flight: Issues of Policy and the Drug Trade," Testimony on the Impact of Capital Flight on Latin American Debt before the Subcommittee on Deficits, Debt Management and International Debt of the U.S. Senate Finance Committee, First Session, Washington D.C.: Government Printing Office, June 12, 1991, pp. 18-25, 37-42.
- "Colombian Capital Flight," Journal of Interamerican Studies and World Affairs Vol. 33, No. 1, Spring, 1991, pp. 123-147.
Corruption, Capital Flight and Country Risk
- "Capital Flight" International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences, 2nd edition, William A. Darity, Jr. (ed.) Detroit: Macmillan Reference, 2008.
- “Corruption," in Encyclopedia of Social Problems, Vol. 1, Vincent N. Parrillo (ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE, 2008.
- "The Miracle of the Latvian Lat: Its Fragile Foundation" with Nicholas W. W. Balabkins, in Jürgen G. Backhaus and Günter Krause (eds.) On Political Economy of Transformation: Country Studies, Marburg: Metropolis Verlag, 1997.
- "Country Risk," In Peter Newman, Murray Milgate and John Eatwell (Eds.) The New Palgrave Dictionary of Money and Finance, New York: Stockton Press, 1992, pp. 506-509.
- "Thomas Jefferson on the Repudiation of Public Debt," Constitutional Political Economy Vol. 2, No. 3, Fall, 1991, pp. 283-301.
- "Simple Model of Entrepreneurship for Principles of Economic Courses" Journal of Economic Education, Vol. 43, No. 4, 2012, pp. 1-11. (For a longer version of this article, appropriate as a handout in a principles course, click here.
In the Media
- "Clinton and Trump want to beggar thy neighbor...and you" The Hill, March 16, 2016.
- "Justice Scalia, Atheists and Mass Murder" American Thinkier, February 17, 2016.
- "Wither and Die" U.S. News and World Report, July 9, 2015
- "Why University Faculty Should Attend Graduation", The Morning Call, May 26, 2015.
- "Draining the Swamp in Iraq", Foreign Policy Research Institute, March 28, 2014.
- “The Future of Iraq’s Political Economy,” Iraq Oil Report, September 24, 2013.
- “Exploring the Structural Problems with Iraq’s Economy,” Musings on Iraq, September 16, 2013.
- “Politics and Economics of Iraq,” Interview on Geopolitics with Granieri, Foreign Policy Research Institute, April 9, 2013.
- “Entrepreneurship in Iraq,” Interview in The Atlantic, March 1, 2011.
- "On the Record: Gunter on China," Lehigh University News Article, January 19, 2011.
- "Simplifying U.S. tax code could benefit everyone," The Morning Call, November 8, 2010.
- "Will popular vote work? Not by a landslide," pennlive.com, August 22, 2010.
- "Two myths hinder the global fight against corruption," The Christian Science Monitor, May 6, 2010.
- "Iraq's Shaky Economy Poses Threat to Future," National Public Radio, December 9, 2009.
- "Liberate Iraq's Economy," New York Times, November 16, 2009.